By: VTC's Wellness Team
What Wellness REALLY Means
The term wellness has gained popularity over the past few years. It is apparent that social media, wellness brands, and marketing agencies have taken advantage of this trend. With that has become a misconception of what wellness really looks like.
Wellness is NOT simply drinking a fancy green smoothie, doing yoga every morning, or looking a certain way. The term wellness is broad and covers 8 different aspects in your life (Emotional/Mental, Environmental, Financial, Intellectual, Occupational, Physical, Social, & Spiritual)
Wellness is putting purpose into these 8 different dimensions in a way that supports your journey. Reminder that wellness is for everyone and it isn't about being perfect.
8 Dimensions of Wellness
1. Mental - Emotional
Wellness Focus: Coping effectively, having a sense of positive self-image, and creating satisfying relationships.
- Shift your perspective to harvest a positive attitude.
- Be sensitive to your feelings and the feelings of others.
- Learn coping mechanisms for stress.
- Be gentle to your mind
Wellness Focus: Occupying pleasant, stimulating environments that support well-being.
- Maintain a clean home
- Designate spaces that bring joy
- Change your scenery
- Practice habits such as recycling, composting, and reusing
Wellness Focus: Satisfaction with current and future financial situations.
- Talk with a financial specialist
- Learn about budgeting
- Establish a plan
- Be aware of your spending
Wellness Focus: Recognizing ways to expand your knowledge and skills through intellectually stimulating activities.
- Become a life-long learner
- Find something you are passionate about
- Discover creative outlets that bring you joy
- Be open to new information
Wellness Focus: Personal satisfaction and enrichment from one’s work.
- Find a job that aligns with your values
- Enjoy what you do, do what you enjoy
- Challenge yourself daily
- Create connections with co workers
Wellness Focus: Recognizing the need for physical activity, healthy foods, and sleep.
- Drink plenty of water
- Eat whole foods to fuel your body
- Limit blue-light exposure before bed
- Designating time to move your body
- Take supplements & vitamins that align with your goals
Wellness Focus: Developing a sense of connection, belonging, and a well-developed support system.
- Be intentional with who you surround yourself with
- Learn to empathize with others
- Join a club or organization
- Be open to new relationships
Wellness Focus: Attending to your sense of purpose and meaning in life.
- Be open to different cultures and beliefs
- Spend time alone for reflection
- Define your personal values and ethics
- Volunteer to help others
STAY UP TO DATE ON HEALTH AND WELLNESS TRENDS!
Subscribe to our newsletter to receive the latest news,
trends, tips, and info!